Monday 14 August 2017

Jurassic 10k, House swap and rubbish weather continues!

15th August 2017

I tried out my new shoes on a run around town, 5 miles, its amazing how new shoes make a difference. My tendon and PF still continue in the background, but dont appear to be affecting my running, after a mile or so they seem to ease off. The mornings getting out of bed seem to be the worst.

My lead up to the Bridport Jurassic 10k was a run around the route on Thursday, a very windy day and I did struggle feeling quite dejected when I got back to the car as I didnt feel it went well at all, my legs felt heavy! I decided that I would try to loosen them with a cycle ride on Friday so 25 miles on a low gear, did seem to help a little.

Sunday race day dawned, lovely sunny warm day, making a change from the rubbish wet weather we have been having, I have been shower dodging all week.

West Bay was already quite busy when I parked up, and collected my number, I was told there were more entries this year, last year I did 24/64 with 1 hr 8 mins could I beat it!! this year.

We lined up on a great morning, gentle breeze, very warm in the sunshine.

                                      view of the race start on 'Broadchurch hill'

I kept a reasonable pace up the first hill, holding my own about half way down the field. We soon hit the single track footpath, fortunately this year the gate was open rather than the stile, I tripped on the footpath and fell heavily on my elbow, I did jump up quickly but my arm felt achy and there was broken skin.
we were soon running through the caravan park and the first drink station, I had decided this time to try flat coke with water in a small bottle, but still accepted a drink.
the climb out of Eype was steep and we were soon walking, I seem to be holding my own, and felt ok.

down in the dip before the very steep climb to Thorncombe Beacon, another drink and descend down a little before climbing back up and around to Down House Farm and the long fast descent back to Eype, I should have gone faster down the hill,but! I didnt  I had no idea on my position in the field, my time seemed ok. The final climb before descending to the finish was hard, more walking!
I tried a fast descent to the finish, holding my own with no one passing me. The finish area was lined with supporters cheering us on. I crossed the line in 1hr 10 mins and 34th out of 74. Not as good as last year, but I did my my best and was happy with the way I ran, given I didnt prepare enough with running.

I got home to find the grandchildren had arrived to swap houses for the week, we had a lovely time before we went to Gloucester to House/cat sit for the week whilst they had a holiday in our house, visiting the coast etc.

I forgot to pack my trainers, so no running or cycling for the week, although we did lots of walking whilst in Gloucester.

We came back on thursday, and had a lovely if some what windy day on the beach at West bay with the children.
I did manage to run 5 miles round town on the Saturday, seemed very hard work, very heavy legs again, not going too well at the moment. Sunday 26 miles cycle ride to try once again to loosen my legs, maybe its old age creeping in. 
No wobble again last week, the weather seems to target Wednesday for a wet day!!! I am hopeful for this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment