Monday 11 May 2015

New Forest Audax

11th May 2015

The weather last week was poor with rain and high winds as well as being chilly,especially in the evenings. I did manage my 2 spin classes, working hard to keep my heart rate up to 80% for the 45 mins.
I also managed a 24 mile cycle ride down through Broadwindsor and back over Pilsden Pen [ one of the 5 Dorset hill forts near here] it was a nice ride, even though I was still in winter gear, the big climb up Pilsden (nearest thing to an alpine climb round here) was made harder by the head wind and then over the top which is normally a fast descent with nice snoopy bends, I was struggling to get any speed because of the head wind.

Back near Thorncombe the hedgerows were full of Blue bells which cast a purple blue sheen along the banks and in the woods, also giving off a wonderful aroma.

Saturday saw us in Sidmouth for lunch in the white horse cafe, clearly the best chips in Devon/Somerset.

A late phone call from my eldest son had me heading down to Lymington again on Sunday morning for the New Forest 100km Audax ride. I have done this before and can recommend the ride, a really nice route through the New Forest up to Breamore Gardens  through Burly, Fording bridge etc and back round through Nomans Land and Brockenhurst a total of 64 miles, we managed under 5 hours so pleased with the time, even though as usual there was a stiff headwind over the exposed parts of the Forest. there were quite a few entries for the event. There seemed to be a lot of traffic out and lots of families picnicking, even though it wasn't that warm.
The food at the end is usually worth the ride as they put on a good spread.
We both felt we went well, and kept up a good pace,and were some of the early finishers. the day turned into a very pleasant afternoon, I finally unzipped my arms off my Gore windproof top!
sorry no pictures as my phone was wrapped up and I forgot my camera [message to self to take a camera and show the stunning scenery].

Only working 1 day this week so should find sometime to cycle,[although I do have some decorating to get sorted] there is a 100 mile Audax on Saturday, I am trying to convince myself I can do it!! its called the coast to coast and starts from Uffculme in Devon, goes to Blue Anchor near Minehead then comes back down to the South coast to visit Budleigh Salterton, I know there are a few hills as you cross Exmoor and you have to climb back to Uffculme from sea level at Budleigh Salterton as Uffculme nestles on the Blackdown Hills. we shall see!!!!

Information about next years Grizzly also came in the post today - I will enter the Cub run amd then build up to Ex Ax again !! the full Grizzly I think wil be beyond me at the start of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment